Home Improvement can be a difficult task, especially if you do not have funds to spare. Working with the City of Waukesha Community Development Department, we are happy to share that Waukesha has many financial assistance programs available. Here is a brief rundown on three programs that our Neighborhood can take advantage of:

  1. Lead Hazard Control Program
    Who is it for?
    Owners of homes built before 1978, where children under the age of 6 reside or spend a significant amount of time. Income qualifications apply.

    How does it work?
    Lead poisoning is a serious health issue and can severely threaten the health and long-term well-being of children. The Lead Hazard Control Program provides funding for eligible households to eliminate lead-based paint hazards in privately owned homes and rentals. Many times, lead elimination results in window and door replacements, costs that the program does include. Grant program eligibility is determined by household composition and income levels.

    Who do I contact?
    Please call the City of Waukesha Community Development Department at 262-524-3750 for more information on this program.

  2. La Casa’s Weatherization Service
    Who is it for?
    La Casa de Esperanza assists pre-approved, low income residential households in Jefferson, Waukesha and Milwaukee counties by identifying energy waste and providing cost effective, energy saving measures and education. Weatherization is provided at no cost to low-income owners and renters.

    Services include:
    • Insulation of attics, side walls and crawlspaces
    • Air sealing of drafts and warm air escaping through the attic.
    • Repair or replacement of heating systems and duct work
    • Lighting replacement with energy efficient Compact Fluorescent Lights(CFL’S)
    • Replacement of refrigerators or freezers
    • Testing and/or replacement of water heaters
    • Health and safety inspections
    • Maintenance and conservation education

    Who do I contact?
    Please call 262-522-4111 for more info, or visit www.lacasadeesperanza.org/weatherization-residential-services-waukesha.html

  3. Housing Development Action Grant Program (HODAG)
    Who is it for?
    Landlords and owners of rental units who want to make building improvements. Tenant income qualifications apply.

    How does it work?
    The HODAG program provides financial assistance to eligible landlords and property managers to help finance apartment rehabilitation projects through matching loans and grants. Projects may include, but are not limited to, exterior painting, siding repair, window and door replacement, chimney repair, and roof repair. All projects must be approved by the City of Waukesha Redevelopment Authority before funds are distributed.

    Who do I contact?
    Jeff Fortin at the City of Waukesha Community Development Department: jfortin@ci.waukesha.wi.us or call 262-524-3750